Saturday, 27 September 2008

Closing the Gap with Africa

As the clouds gather for next month's (October) Black History Month (BHM), there is one particular organisation, A Serendipitous Production (ASP) Ltd, which is launching Film Education Programme as part of the festival. 

The UK Government has made it a Millennium Ghana SchoolsDevelopment Goal to encourage intercultural twinning between UK schools and their peers in Africa. ‘Closing the Gap’ films aims to show the next generation of UK school children the breadth and variety of African life, and reflect the positivity and enthusiasm not shown on main stream media. The project begins in London in September.

With the support of Film London, the organisers are able to offer schools up to a 50% discount for director led screenings, and question & answer sessions. Schools will have the opportunity to choose from 14 short films, including 5 titles from UK charity Worldwrite a UK based charity with a remit to develop and provide educational projects and programmes which promote international understanding. Closing the Gap Trailer, the original idea for ‘Closing the Gap’  was born out of ASP’s latest feature length documentary From Hay to Timbuktu.

As Director Akua Ofosuhene researched these government sponsored twinning’s she was moved to include a British African perspective that would bridge the gap between the Africa we see on our screens and the one known by Africans. Akua Says,

I don’t want school twinning to be a way of feeding British kids with the idea that Africa is a place of only hunger, aids and abject poverty that is in need of aid. I want to contribute to a view of Africa as place we can also learn from; and when the kids see ordinary and extraordinary Africans they can admire and identify with, we may have a chance of a new conversation with Africa based on equality and respect.

Links to post:

www.black-history-month.co.uk

www.aserendipitousproduction.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

After reading you site, Your site is very useful for me .I bookmarked your site!

Anonymous said...

Saw your site bookmarked on Reddit.I love your site and marketing strategy.Your site is very useful for me .I bookmarked your site!
My Home [b][url=http://www.account-money.com/]account money[/url][/b]
account money

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat seo techniques[/URL], You are far from alone if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or misunderstood avenues to produce an income online.

Anonymous said...

My partner and I really enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just itching to know do you trade featured posts? I am always trying to find someone to make trades with and merely thought I would ask.

Anonymous said...

that is definitely what I was searching for, You have saved me alot of time

Anonymous said...

Awesome, that’s exactly what I was scanning for! You just spared me alot of searching around