Sunday, 11 January 2009

Notebook Recovery

I thought it was the end of it, but in the end it was recovered and working better. This happened when I was running out of space with my notebook with less than 10GB of free space remaining. There were a number easier options I could take but I was also prioritising. The computer had two operating systems, Windows and Ubuntu. The later was used on a trail basis and to be used on a desktop computer.

The main activity was taking off Ubuntu that was taking more than 10GB of disc space and archiving my documents, pictures, movies, contacts, downloads etc basically all files that are not regularly used to an external disc. The tricky issue was removing Ubuntu which was using a partitioned part of the Hard Disc. Re merging the partitioned Hard Disc involved complex procedures that could result in losing everthing if not done properly. My only hope was, I do have regular backups of all the files on CDs.

I did take the longer option of re-installing Windows after backing up all the files on the notebook. All the old file had been transferred to an external disc and all my program file re-installed. The computer is now faster like I had it when it was new and I can access all my files from the external disc. This wouldn't had been possible had I used the other options and would continue to have slow programs running on the computer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, what words..., a brilliant idea

Anonymous said...

After a storm comes a calm.